Monday, June 8, 2009

What Parents think about student achievement

I understand that the government want to make sure schools are doing a good job educating students. Are standardized test really the right way to do this? This article points out that although the government and schools like to compare themselves to each other through test results, parents actually find preparedness for the work force, happiness, and the development of a well rounded individual is more important in the long run.

As a parent myself, I could not agree more. Schools push too much for test results when our children really need real problem solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others. I want my children to graduate from high school ready for the real challenges that they will face instead of the ability to successfully complete a state or nationwide test.

Check out this link to see the article that I am responing to.
http://www.edutopia.org/student-achievement-parents-thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment